Our trip starts with a stop in Agios Nikolaos, the capital of Lassithi. In this city with the colorful blend of bars, traditional taverns, various clothes shops, small coffee shops, and an open-air market, we have free time to explore the picturesque surroundings, the green lagoon of Voulismeni or enjoy our coffee in one of the cafés at the shores of the glittering bay of Mirabello.
Leaving this quaint city, we head for the wind-blasted Plaka, a delightful bijou village of attractive boutiques, inviting restaurants and cafés, as well as some very cozy taverns hugging the waterfront. From here we take the boat that sails around the famous Spinalonga, while we listen to our guide narrating the fascinating, yet dramatic and heartbreaking story of the island. Spinalonga was a former leper colony, where Greeks suffering from Hansen’s disease were quarantined until it was closed in 1958. Then the boat drops anchor at the island and we disembark to experience from up-close the atmosphere of this place with the extraordinary story, around which Hislop weaves her tale in her renowned book “The Island”.
After leaving Spinalonga, we get to a small sandy bay, where we have plenty of time for swimming in the crystal clear waters and tasting the BBQ that is served on board.
Early in the afternoon, we return back to Plaka, where we board our bus for the return journey.
Adult Price: 36€
Child Price (4-12 years): 18€
Children 0-4 years old travel free of charge
Prices may vary for large groups of 8+ people. For special price quotations please contact us direct at info@tourscrete.
- We drive through St George’s Gorge, the main north highway, a gorge’s road that is surrounded by limestone cliffs, hills full of sheep and goats, and windmills. The trip will take about 40 minutes from the last pick-up to reach Agios Nikolaos. You will have at least one hour and 30 min of free time to explore the local market, do your shopping and take a walk around its port. Visit the bottomless lake of Voulismeni which is situated only a few minutes on foot from the center.
- Then, we will head to Elounda through Mirabello Bay, Elounda, and its famous sceneries. Mirabello bay is the largest of the Greek islands and the fifth largest in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Elounda is a beautiful small traditional fishing village resort of Elounda. Although it is a small village, it is also the location of some of the most expensive hotels and resorts in the world. Year after year Billionaires, famous athletes, and actors visit the area. You might get lucky and meet one.
- At Elounda village we will board on our boat and head to Spinalonga. A small barren island of 85 acres, it carries a long and sad history and holds a special place in the Cretan hearts.
- It was built by the Venetians to stop the Ottomans from entering the port of ancient Olous. So the first thing you will see is the tall fortified walls. It is also known for being the leper colony of Crete. We promise to tell you many stories of horror and hope about the island. Today is a monument of Greek Heritage and supports its old building inside a museum. Spinalonga also is under consideration to become a World Heritage Site. Entrance to Spinalonga is optional and it is not included in the price.
- During the boat trip from Elounda to Spinalonga or on the way back you will have time to swim in one of the beaches.
- Part of what makes this excursion so popular is the very warm weather, so don't be surprised Spinalonga island can be extremely hot and humid. It’s also important to note that sometimes the winds can be a problem.
- You will have plenty of free time to go swimming and exploring.
- Come prepared. Athletic shoes, a pair of flip-flops, sun lotion, a hat, a beach umbrella, and plenty of water. Sunbeds can be expensive and are offered by a private company, since they are not included in the price make sure you have a good long beach towel with you.
- Buy a large plastic bottle of water and ask your hotel to position it in the freezer a day before departure. The ice will melt slowly during your trip and the water will always be cold.
- If you enjoy snorkeling or other sports, bring your equipment.
- This day trip is designed for all ages. full of fun, flexibility, and plenty of free time to explore at your own pace.
08:30: Departure from Hersonissos
Stop at: Agios Nikolaos – free time for 1 hour & 30 minutes to admire the beautiful town, do shopping or enjoy a coffee by the beautiful lake.
Pass by: Plaka – boarding the boat to Spinalonga, where we will have a guided trip around the island.
Stop at: Arrival in Spinalonga – 40 minutes free time on the island
Stop at: Plaka - 1 hour 30 min for lunch and swimming.
Stop at: Elounda - 40 min for coffee and then we take our bus back to Hersonissos
17:00: Aprx return time back to Hersonissos
-Hotel pick up & drop off by the areas of: Analipsi, Anissaras, Gournes, Gouves, Hersonissos, Kokkini Hani, Koutouloufari, Malia, Piskopiano, Stalis,
-Transportation by modern air-conditioned buses.
-Professional tour guide (live).
-Boat trip tickets to Spinalonga Island.
-Printed or mobile tour voucher accepted.
-Easy cancellation (Cancel up to 24 hours prior departure time and receive a full refund).
(Payable on the day of the tour)
-8€ per adult entrance fee for Spinalonga Isle / FREE for children under 18yrs old
-The boat trip to Spinalonga Island is subjected to Crete's weather conditions. If the trip to Spinalonga Island is canceled due to bad weather conditions you will be refunded the price of the ticket or you will be given the option of alternative tour date, or choose one of our other tours in Crete.
-Boat's departure and arrival times, as well as the excursion schedule, might be altered due to weather conditions or traffic at ports.
-Comfortable shoes, hat, sunglasses, sun cream, and a swimsuit are required for the Spinalonga Island tour.
-Children must be accompanied by an adult.
-You are kindly requested to proceed at the meeting points 10 minutes prior departure time.
-Due to covid protocols you are kindly requested to wear face masks during your stay in buses or boats all around Crete.
In order to make your booking experience easier and more secure we write below, our very simple way of booking your favorite Cretan tour, excursion, trip, or cruise.
Step 1: Choose Your Tour
Once you decide which Crete tour you wish to book online, you will have to check the availability of each tour. You only have to click on the “Date” box and there you can choose the date or day that is more comfortable for you. The Dates/days are highlighted. Prices are per adult. Children enjoy a 50% discount.
After choosing your date of departure you add the number of adults and children. Please note the following:
Adults: 13+ years old
Children: 4-12 years old
Infants(free): 0-4 years old
You don't need to enter the infant numbers. Infants do not get a seat. The guardian is responsible for providing protection during the tour.
Once you add the persons you press the ‘Search” button.
Step 2: Add to Cart
You press the “Add to Cart” button. The tour is now available in your purchase cart. You may book the same way two, three, or more tours.
Step 3: Visit Cart
The cart is situated in the top right corner. Press on the “Cart” image. This will provide you with a list of the tours you have chosen. Check the total price, the number of persons, the name of the tour and the date. If you wish you may erase the tour by clicking the “X”(delete) button and restart the procedure. When you are ready you press the “Checkout” button.
Step 4: Checkout
Here you will need to fill the form with your details and press “Continue”. The personal information that we collect from you is stored by us, on databases protected through a combination of physical and electronic access controls, firewall technology, and other reasonable security measures. We will neither sell nor release your registration, personal, and usage data to outside organizations.
If you cannot locate your hotel name, please email us the name of your hotel and we will add it to our list. The hotel list includes the following areas of Crete: Hersonissos, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gouves, Malia, Gournes, and Kokkini Hani.
Step 5: Payment
After pressing the “Continue to Payment” button you will be redirected to a secured Eurobank e-Commerce environment. Here you fill in your card details. Once your payment is made you will receive a confirmation with your payment and the tours you have purchased. Within 24 hours you will receive a boarding voucher/ticket for each tour in Crete you have purchased with all the details including the exact pickup point with "Google map location" and time based on your hotel selection.
In case you wish to know more about Spinalonga Day Tour, please feel free to communicate with us before booking online. Our travel consultants will try their best to provide you with the correct answers to your questions. Send all Inquiries to email@example.com
If after receiving your voucher/ticket, you still have questions, or you wish to cancel or alter the date please call us at +30 2897021106 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are currently in Crete our two travel shops are located in Hersonissos. Feel free to pass by one of them and get the answers to your questions and even more.
34 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link
2. Serapis Travel Services
141 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link