Starting from Hersonissos and driving along the coast of Crete to the east, we pass through the gorge of St. George, before we reach the picturesque fishing village of Elounda, in Mirabello, one of the loveliest bays in Crete. It’s an ideal destination on Crete, for people who love beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters, and places of archaeological sites, while with its luxurious resorts it is also a popular holiday destination for VIPs.
From Elounda, we take our boat and sailing along Elounda bay, it brings us to Spinalonga Island, known as the “island of the tears”. Spinalonga rocky islet has an interesting and rather heartbreaking history. Stories about love and pain, about separation and fear through time: in Ancient Crete, when it was as a natural citadel for the ancient city of Olous; in the years of the Saracens Spinalonga was a pirate lair for ships sailing around Crete; in Venetian times Spinalonga was a fortress; during the Turkish occupation of Crete as their settlement; in more modern times as a leper colony, an isle for the outcasts that were struck by the most feared disease of the time and were sent away from their families and communities. However, in all this pain and suffering, the banished inhabitants of this isolated isle formed a thriving community, remnants of which are admired today by thousands of people who want to experience the intriguing atmosphere of Spinalonga.
After our guided tour on Spinalonga island, we get to the small sandy bay of Kolokitha, where we have plenty of time for swimming in the crystal clear waters and tasting the Barbeque that is served on board.
After lunch, we get on the way back to Elounda, where we take the bus to the quaint town of Agios Nikolaos. This lovely place retains a traditional and serene lifestyle that hasn’t lost its charm through time. Here you can visit the Byzantine Chapel, stroll around the port and the lavish marina, do some shopping in the market, visit the two museums, or just enjoy your coffee in one of the many cafés around the famous bottomless lake.
Adult Price: 35€
Child Price (4-12 years): 18€
Children 0-4 years old travel free of charge
Prices may vary for large groups of 8+ people. For special price quotations please contact us direct at email@example.com
- We drive through St George’s Gorge, the main north highway that connects Heraklion and Agios Nikolaos. A gorge’s road that is surrounded by limestone cliffs, hills full of sheep and goats, and windmills. It will take about 40 minutes from the last pick-up to reach Agios Nikolaos. We will visit the town at the end of our excursion.
- From Agios Nikolaos, we will head to Elounda through Mirabello Bay, Elounda, and its famous sceneries. Mirabello bay is the largest of the Greek islands and the fifth largest in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Elounda is a beautiful small traditional fishing village resort. Although it is a small village, it is also the location of some of the most expensive hotels and resorts in the world. Year after year Billionaires, famous athletes, and actors visit the area. You might get lucky and meet one.
- At Elounda village, we will board on our boat and head to Spinalonga. A small barren island of 85 acres, it carries a long and sad history and holds a special place in the Cretan hearts.
- Spinalonga was built by the Venetians to stop the Ottomans from entering the port of ancient Olous. So the first thing you will see is the tall fortified walls. Spinalonga is also known for being the leper colony of Crete. We promise to tell you many stories of horror and hope about the island. Today is a monument of Greek Heritage and supports its old building inside a museum. Spinalonga also is under consideration to become a World Heritage Site. Entrance to Spinalonga is optional and it is not included in the price.
- During the cruise- boat trip from Elounda to Spinalonga or on the way back you will have time to swim in one of the beaches.
- At the end of our tour, we will arrive at Agios Nikolaos. You will have at least one hour of free time to explore Agios Nikolaos market, do your shopping and take a walk around its port. Visit the bottomless lake of Voulismeni which is situated only a few minutes on foot from the center.
- Part of what makes this tour so popular is the very warm weather, so don't be surprised Spinalonga island can be extremely hot and humid. It’s also important to note that sometimes the winds can be a problem.
- You will have plenty of free time to go swimming and exploring.
- Come prepared. Athletic shoes, a pair of flip-flops, sun lotion, a hat, a beach umbrella, and plenty of water. Sunbeds can be expensive and are offered by a private company, since they are not included in the price make sure you have a good long beach towel with you.
- Buy a large plastic bottle of water and ask your hotel to position it in the freezer a day before departure. The ice will melt slowly during your trip and the water will always be cold.
- If you enjoy snorkeling or other sports, bring your equipment.
- This day trip is designed for all ages. full of fun, flexibility, and plenty of free time to explore at your own pace.
08:30: Bus Tour departure from Hersonissos
09:50: Arrival at Elounda
10:00: Boat departure to Spinalonga
10:30: Arrival at Spinalonga. 1 ½ hour stop and guided tour This tour takes us around the remains on this much-afflicted island and guides us through the pages of its
12:15: Arrival at the bay of kolokitha. Time for a refreshing swim in the crystal clear waters of Mirabello Bay, while the crew is preparing barbeque on board.
14:30: We board the boat that takes us back to Elounda, from where we will take our bus to Agios Nikolaos
15:30: Arrival at Agios Nikolaos. Free time for shopping and Relaxation.
17:30: Aprx return time back to Hersonissos.
-Hotel pick up & drop off by the areas of: Analipsi, Anissaras, Gournes, Gouves, Hersonissos, Kokkini Hani, Koutouloufari, Malia, Piskopiano, Stalis,
-Transportation by modern air-conditioned buses
-Professional tour guide (live)
-Boat trip tickets to the island of Spinalonga, Barbeque lunch onboard
-Swimming at the bay of Kolokitha
-Printed or mobile tour voucher accepted
-Easy cancellation (Cancel up to 24 hours prior departure time and receive a full refund)
(Payable on the day of the tour)
-8€ per adult entrance fee for Spinalonga Isle / FREE for children under 18yrs old
-The boat trip to Spinalonga Island is subjected to Crete's weather conditions. If the boat trip to Spinalonga Island is canceled due to bad weather conditions you will be refunded the price of the ticket or you will be given the option of an alternative tour date, or choose one of our other tours in Crete.
-Boat's departure and arrival times, as well as the excursion schedule, might be altered due to weather conditions or traffic at ports.
-Comfortable shoes, hat, sunglasses, sun cream, and a swimsuit are required for the Spinalonga Island tour.
-Children must be accompanied by an adult.
-You are kindly requested to proceed at the meeting points 10 minutes prior departure time.
-Due to covid protocols you are kindly requested to wear face masks during your stay in buses or boats all around Crete.
In order to make your booking experience easier and more secure we write below, our very simple way of booking your favorite Cretan tour, excursion, trip, or cruise.
Step 1: Choose Your Tour
Once you decide which Crete tour you wish to book online, you will have to check the availability of each tour. You only have to click on the “Date” box and there you can choose the date or day that is more comfortable for you. The Dates/days are highlighted. Prices are per adult. Children enjoy a 50% discount.
After choosing your date of departure you add the number of adults and children. Please note the following:
Adults: 13+ years old
Children: 4-12 years old
Infants(free): 0-4 years old
You don't need to enter the infant numbers. Infants do not get a seat. The guardian is responsible for providing protection during the tour.
Once you add the persons you press the ‘Search” button.
Step 2: Add to Cart
You press the “Add to Cart” button. The tour is now available in your purchase cart. You may book the same way two, three, or more tours.
Step 3: Visit Cart
The cart is situated in the top right corner. Press on the “Cart” image. This will provide you with a list of the tours you have chosen. Check the total price, the number of persons, the name of the tour and the date. If you wish you may erase the tour by clicking the “X”(delete) button and restart the procedure. When you are ready you press the “Checkout” button.
Step 4: Checkout
Here you will need to fill the form with your details and press “Continue”. The personal information that we collect from you is stored by us, on databases protected through a combination of physical and electronic access controls, firewall technology, and other reasonable security measures. We will neither sell nor release your registration, personal, and usage data to outside organizations.
If you cannot locate your hotel name, please email us the name of your hotel and we will add it to our list. The hotel list includes the following areas of Crete: Hersonissos, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gouves, Malia, Gournes, and Kokkini Hani.
Step 5: Payment
After pressing the “Continue to Payment” button you will be redirected to a secured Eurobank e-Commerce environment. Here you fill in your card details. Once your payment is made you will receive a confirmation with your payment and the tours you have purchased. Within 24 hours you will receive a boarding voucher/ticket for each tour in Crete you have purchased with all the details including the exact pickup point with "Google map location" and time based on your hotel selection.
In case you wish to know more about Spinalonga Island Tour, please feel free to communicate with us before booking online. Our travel consultants will try their best to provide you with the correct answers to your questions. Send all Inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
If after receiving your voucher/ticket, you still have questions, or you wish to cancel or alter the date please call us at +30 2897021106 or email us at email@example.com.
If you are currently in Crete our two travel shops are located in Hersonissos. Feel free to pass by one of them and get the answers to your questions and even more.
34 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link
2. Serapis Travel Services
141 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link