Starting our trip from Hersonissos and driving south, the first highlight of our excursion is the historical Monastery of Kera Kardiotissa, a monastery inhabited and run by nuns, which is located in an idyllic landscape at the heart of Crete. Here you can witness the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary, plenty of frescoes, and a variety of other icons, dating back to the 14th century.
Lassithi Plateau, our next destination, is situated 850m higher than the sea level. Surrounded by the Dikti Mountains and 18 quaint villages, it still retains the atmosphere of another era. You can admire the remaining famous windmills and the Venetian ditches, the drainage system of the plateau. The most famous village in the Lassithi Plateau is the village of Psychro. In this traditional village, we pay a short visit to a traditional potter’s workshop. This ancient ceramic art completes today more than 8000 years. You will be able to watch the potters making masterpieces in just a few minutes.
Then we visit the Dicteon Cave, the longest in Crete, which is said to have been the birthplace of Zeus, the father of the Greek ancient gods.
Tzermiado, the next place we visit, is the capital of the villages on the Lassithi plateau. In the lovely village of Tzermiado, you can enjoy the natural beauty, the breathtaking views, and the traditional architecture, you can take pictures of the wonderful landscape, rest for a while, and enjoy your lunch in one of the local taverns.
Leaving the Lassithi plateau, heading west we reach outside of Heraklion the impressive Knossos Palace which dates back to 2000 B.C. and was discovered in 1878 by Sir Arthur Evans.
The Minoan Knossos Palace is the landmark of Crete; no one should miss the opportunity to live its myth while on the island of Crete. Knossos used to be the capital of the Minoan state, one of the most powerful empires of ancient times. The civilization of the era was remarkable and has kept its features throughout time. Here in Knossos, you learn the history of King Minos, his daughter Ariadne, and of course, the mythical Minotaur that lived in a maze, the so-called Labyrinth. The marvelous architectural plan of the Knossos palace drawn up by Daedalus, the rare and luxurious materials, the advanced techniques of construction, the elaborate drainage system, and the size of the palace makes it one of the most amazing sights on the island of Crete.
Adult Price: 40€
Child Price (4-12 years): 20€
Children 0-4 years old travel free of charge
Prices may vary for large groups of 8+ people. For special price quotations please contact us direct at firstname.lastname@example.org
FULLY LICENCED GREEK TRAVEL AGENCY
- Enjoy a magical bus excursion from the busy tourist places in the mountains of Crete. Take photos of the breathtaking views.
- The Lassithi plateau is known for its thousands of windmills. They were used to pump water from the ground. This is the landmark of the Lassithi plateau.
- Visit the cave of Psychro also called the cave of Zeus. An ancient Minoan sacred cave. Psycho associates with the Diktaean Cave, one of the putative sites of the birth of Zeus.
- Think if you wish to take a ride with a donkey. Please note that it costs extra 10 Euro or more and the entrance to the cave of Zeus is not included in the price.
- Visit for free a traditional pottery workshop, and see how pottery is made by hand.
- We make a stop at the biggest town on the Lasithi plateau “Tzermiadon”. Here you can look around or even enjoy a wonderful meal in one of the best traditional restaurants in the area.
- Enjoy the famous Knossos Palace tour, a monument of high archaeological value not only for Greece but for the entire world with more than 1000 rooms connected by corridors.
- Observe the enormous storage rooms with containers made of clay used to deposit grain, beans, olives, oil, and dried fish and meat.
- Take the one-and-a-half-hour guided visit to the Palace and see the courts, the central court, and the west court. Both areas were very important to the royals of that time.
- The royal rooms (one of the best things to see during this Knossos excursion), and the throne room.
Probably the most popular spot in Knossos, after the bull fresco, is the Throne Room, get ready to queue. Inside there is a stone seat and the wall, colored in vivid red and with frescoes, is lined with a continuous bench.
Other points of interest in Knossos
- Theater area. This open space resembles an amphitheater and it was probably used for public entertainment, dances, and representations. However, according to our guide, space would have been limited to such events, so it still remains one more of the enigmas of the Knossos Archaeological Site.
- The workshops, where potters, artisans, and smiths worked and sold their products.
- The drain system
- Just behind the theatre, the Royal Road leads to other small sites. The Little Palace is worth a visit for its Roman remains. If you can, visit the Villa Dionysios for its mosaics and the Royal Villa which faces the main complex of the north.
- Full €15, reduced €8.
- Reduced fees apply to:
- Greek citizens and citizens of other European countries over 65 years old (ID card or passport needed).
- Escorts on educational visits.
- University Students (high education institutes or equivalent, student ID card needed).
- Part of what makes this excursion so popular is its archaeological and mythological aspects. It is a trip that brings you closer to how the first Greeks were ahead of time. - You get to visit the most beautiful areas of Crete.
- Come prepared. Athletic shoes, sun lotion, a hat, a beach umbrella, and plenty of water.
- It's a full-day excursion. But with many stops for rest and exploring.
- This excursion is suitable for most ages. Please note that if you have serious health issues the Cave of Zeus is not recommended.
07:30-09:00: Bus departure from Ammoudara/Heraklion/Gouves/Analipsi/Anissaras/Hersonissos/Stalida/Malia.
Stop at: Kera Monastery (30 min).
Stop at: a traditional pottery workshop (30 min).
Watch the craftsmen making masterpieces and you can try your potter’s skills.
Stop at: Psichro (1 hour and 15 min).
Time to visit the Dicti cave/"cave of Zeus" or the theme Mythology Park.
Stop at: Tzermiado the capital of Lassithi Plateau (1 hour and 30 min).
Walk around the village, or rest and enjoy lunch, tasting traditional dishes of Cretan gastronomy.
Stop at: Knossos Palace.
1 hour and 45 min guided tour, by a professional authorized guide, around the Palace.
17:00-18:00: Approx return time back to Ammoudara/Heraklion/Gouves/Analipsi/Anissaras/Hersonissos/Stalida/Malia.
Different time tables apply for pickups in different areas like Heraklion, Ammoudara, Kokkini Hani, Gouves, Analipsi, Anissaras, Stalida and Malia. Our search system will provide you with the correct times. If you have difficulty in finding your pickup point, please contact us at email@example.com.
Click below for more info regarding each area pick-up service:
-Hotel pick up & drop off by the areas of: Heraklion, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gournes, Gouves, Hersonissos, Kokkini Hani, Koutouloufari, Malia, Piskopiano, Stalis.
-Transportation by modern air-conditioned buses.
-Professional excursion guide (live).
-One hour and thirty min guided tour around the Knossos palace
-Printed or mobile tour voucher accepted.
-Easy cancellation (Cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure time and receive a full refund).
(Payable on the day of the tour)
-15€ per adult Entrance Ticket Knossos Palace / FREE for children under 18 yrs old
-(Optional) 6€ per adult Entrance Ticket to Cave of Zeus / FREE for children under 18 yrs old
-(Optional) 6€ per adult Entrance Ticket to Cretan Mythology Park / FREE for children under 3yrs old
-2€ Entrance Ticket to Kera Monastery
IMPORTANT: During the booking process you will be requested to add your hotel and its address. We understand that names of hotels change every year and that many hotels dont even have an address. In such a case you can do the following:
1. Choose "Other" at Hotel
2. Write "Unknown" at the Address
This way the system will allow you to proceed with your payment.
-The tour to Knossos Palace and Lassithi Plateau, is subjected to weather conditions. If the tour is canceled due to bad weather you will be fully refunded, or you will be given the option of an alternative date.
-Walking shoes, hats, sunglasses, and sun cream are required.
-Children must be accompanied by an adult.
-You are kindly requested to proceed to the meeting points 10 minutes prior to bus departure time.
-Due to covid protocols you are kindly requested to wear face masks during your stay in buses or boats all around Crete.
In order to make your booking experience easier and more secure, we write below, our very simple way of booking your favorite Cretan tour, excursion, trip, or a cruise.
Step 1: Choose Your Tour
Once you decide which Crete tour you wish to book online, you will have to check the availability of each tour. You only have to click on the “Date” box and there you can choose the date or day that is more comfortable for you. The Dates/days are highlighted. Prices are per adult. Children enjoy a 50% discount.
After choosing your date of departure you add the number of adults and children. Please note the following:
Adults: 13+ years old
Children: 4-12 years old
Infants (free): 0-4 years old
You don't need to enter the infant numbers. Infants do not get a seat. The guardian is responsible for providing protection during the tour.
Once you add the persons you press the ‘Search” button.
Step 2: Add to Cart
You press the “Add to Cart” button. The tour is now available in your purchase cart. You may book the same way two, three, or more tours.
Step 3: Visit Cart
The cart is situated in the top right corner. Press on the “Cart” image. This will provide you with a list of the tours you have chosen. Check the total price, the number of persons, the name of the tour and the date. If you wish, you may erase the tour by clicking the “X”(delete) button and restarting the procedure. When you are ready you press the “Checkout” button.
Step 4: Checkout
Here you will need to fill the form with your details and press “Continue”. The personal information that we collect from you is stored by us, on databases protected through a combination of physical and electronic access controls, firewall technology, and other reasonable security measures. We will neither sell nor release your registration, personal, and usage data to outside organizations.
If you cannot locate your hotel name, please email us the name of your hotel and we will add it to our list. The hotel list includes the following areas of Crete: Hersonissos, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gouves, Malia, Gournes, and Kokkini Hani.
Step 5: Payment
After pressing the “Continue to Payment” button you will be redirected to a secured Eurobank e-commerce environment. Here you fill in your card details. Once your payment is made, you will receive a confirmation with your payment and the tours you have purchased. Within 24 hours you will receive a boarding voucher/ticket for each tour in Crete you have purchased with all the details, including the exact pickup point with "Google map location" and time based on your hotel selection.
In case you wish to know more about Knossos Palace Tour and Lassithi Plateau, please feel free to communicate with us before booking online. Our travel consultants will try their best to provide you with the correct answers to your questions. Send all Inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
If after receiving your voucher/ticket, you still have questions, or you wish to cancel or alter the date please call us at +30 2897021106 or email us at email@example.com.
If you are currently in Crete our two travel shops are located in Hersonissos. Feel free to pass by one of them and get the answers to your questions and even more.
34 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link
2. Serapis Travel Services
141 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link