Starting our full-day excursion from Hersonissos, we travel to the west of the island of Crete. Our first stop is in a lovely cafe, where we can have an early coffee or breakfast. From there, we drive towards the port of Kissamos, where we begin our cruise to two of the most exquisite places on Crete, Gramvousa Island, and Balos Beach.
During our one-hour cruise to the uninhabited islet of Gramvousa, you will have the chance to admire the impressive landscape that is composed of steep rocks and hills, endless blue waters, and little hidden beaches. Cruising close to the island, you can see the geological phenomenon of the tilting of Crete, namely it's rising out of the sea in the west and drowning in the east.
We get off the boat at Gramvousa island, which has gained a reputation of the “pirates’ island”, as the island residents used to loot the passing boats. The isle is also famous for its Venetian fortress that once protected Crete from the Turks and the old wreck that was abandoned many years ago near the beach, which has become a distinctive landmark. If you decide to climb up the sheer rock to the castle ruins, you will be rewarded with jaw-dropping views of the deep blue and the green waters of the lagoon. In Gramvousa you have a lot of time to swim in the crystal blue waters, explore the area and try to find the alleged hidden pirate treasure, take photos of the breathtaking views or have lunch aboard (optional).
In the afternoon, we take the boat to the Blue Lagoon of Balos. No matter what you may have heard about Balos beach, nothing can compare to how you feel when you set foot on it! The dozens of different shades of turquoise in the lagoon, the incredibly vibrant waters, the golden sand, the tamarisk trees, and the reddish shells in this paradise on earth are going to blow your mind.
Gramvousa Island and Balos lagoon form one of the most important hydro biotopes and nature reserves of Crete, as over 100 bird species and 400 plant species can be found here, that is why the place is protected under Natura 2000 program.
One of the best full-day tours on Crete that will surely fill you with unforgettable memories.
Adult Price: 48€
Child Price (4-12 years): 24€
Children 0-4 years old travel free of charge.
Prices may vary for large groups of 8+ people. For special price quotations please contact us direct at firstname.lastname@example.org
- An early morning bus trip to Kissamos port. On the way, you will see the wild beauty of Crete.
- A boat trip from Kissamos port to Gramvousa, the trip will allow you to admire the impressive landscape.
- Visit the Venetian fortress of the island and take photos of the breathtaking views. The highest point of the island, at an altitude of 137 meters.
- See the famous Gramvousa shipwreck.
- Observe around 400 different plant species on the island. Three of them are particularly rare since they cannot be found anywhere else on earth. A variety of daisies, wild onion, and silene. Gramvousa and Balos are included in the European initiative NATURA 2000.
- There are about 98 species of birds, with the number becoming quite bigger during the migration period since the area is on the bird’s way to and from the Mediterranean.
- You may also swim in the area next to the small church of St. Apostoloi.
- Visit Balos Beach, which is listed as one of the best beaches in the world. 1000 words cannot describe the impressiveness of this lagoon. You will stay in this Cretan paradise for about 3 hours.
- Swim, sunbathe, do some snorkeling. The crystal waters are ideal.
- Part of what makes this part of the world so appealing is the warm weather, so it probably won’t come as a surprise that Gramvousa and Balos lagoon can be extremely hot and humid.
- This bus trip and boat cruise offer lots of free time so that you're able to experience the beauties of Crete the way you imagined.
- Our tour guide will be there to help you with anything you might need.
- This Gramvousa and Balos excursion is designed for travelers aged 1 to 99. Is full of fun, flexibility, and plenty of free time to explore at your own pace.
- Come prepared. Athletic shoes, a pair of flip flops, sun lotion, a hat, a beach umbrella, and plenty of water and make sure you have a good long beach towel with you.
- Buy a large plastic bottle of water and ask your hotel to position it in the freezer a day before departure. The ice will melt slowly during your tour and the water will always be cold.
- Bring with you some plasters, or bite cream. You never know.
05:50: Bus departure from Hersonissos
Stop at: Skaleta – 15 min time for coffee
Pass by: Kissamos port. We board the boat that takes us to Gramvousa Island. On the way, we may see dolphins and sea turtles. We also witness the tilting of Crete.
Stop at: Gramvousa. Plenty of time to explore the place, visit the imposing fortress, swim in the irresistible waters, and relax under the sun. If you feel hungry, you can have lunch on the boat (optional).
Stop at: Balos beach. 2 hours & 45 min free time for relaxation, swim and snorkeling in the enchanting lagoon.
Pass by: Kissamos port. Boarding the buses for the return journey.
Stop at: Arrival in Skaleta – 15 min stop
21:45: Aprx return time back to Hersonissos.
-Hotel pick up & drop off by the areas of: Hersonisos, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gournes, Gouves, Heraklion, Kokkini Hani, Koutouloufari, Malia, Piskopiano, Stalis, Ammoudara, Agia Pelagia, Lygaria, Fodele
-Transportation by modern air-conditioned buses
-Professional tour guide (live)
-Boat tickets R/T
-Printed or mobile excursion voucher accepted
-Easy excursion cancellation (Cancel up to 24 hours prior departure time and receive a full refund)
(payable the day of your trip)
-1€ municipal tax
-Sunbeds and umbrellas at Balos beach.
-The boat trip to Gramvousa and Balos Lagoon is subjected to Crete's weather conditions. If the boat trip to Gramvousa and Balos Lagoon is canceled due to bad weather conditions you will be refunded the price of the ticket or you will be given the option of an alternative tour date, or choose one of our other tours in Crete.
-Boat's departure and arrival times, as well as the excursion schedule, might be altered due to weather conditions or traffic at ports.
-Comfortable shoes, hat, sunglasses, sun cream, and a swimsuit are required for the Gramvousa and Balos Lagoon tour.
-Children must be accompanied by an adult.
-You are kindly requested to proceed at the meeting points 10 minutes prior departure time.
-Due to covid protocols you are kindly requested to wear face masks during your stay in buses or boats all around Crete.
In order to make your booking experience easier and more secure we write below, our very simple way of booking your favorite Cretan tour, excursion, trip, or cruise.
Step 1: Choose Your Tour
Once you decide which Crete tour you wish to book online, you will have to check the availability of each tour. You only have to click on the “Date” box and there you can choose the date or day that is more comfortable for you. The Dates/days are highlighted. Prices are per adult. Children enjoy a 50% discount.
After choosing your date of departure you add the number of adults and children. Please note the following:
Adults: 13+ years old
Children: 4-12 years old
Infants(free): 0-4 years old
You don't need to enter the infant numbers. Infants do not get a seat. The guardian is responsible for providing protection during the tour.
Once you add the persons you press the ‘Search” button.
Step 2: Add to Cart
You press the “Add to Cart” button. The tour is now available in your purchase cart. You may book the same way two, three, or more tours.
Step 3: Visit Cart
The cart is situated in the top right corner. Press on the “Cart” image. This will provide you with a list of the tours you have chosen. Check the total price, the number of persons, the name of the tour and the date. If you wish you may erase the tour by clicking the “X”(delete) button and restart the procedure. When you are ready you press the “Checkout” button.
Step 4: Checkout
Here you will need to fill the form with your details and press “Continue”. The personal information that we collect from you is stored by us, on databases protected through a combination of physical and electronic access controls, firewall technology, and other reasonable security measures. We will neither sell nor release your registration, personal, and usage data to outside organizations.
If you cannot locate your hotel name, please email us the name of your hotel and we will add it to our list. The hotel list includes the following areas of Crete: Hersonissos, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gouves, Malia, Gournes, and Kokkini Hani.
Step 5: Payment
After pressing the “Continue to Payment” button you will be redirected to a secured Eurobank e-Commerce environment. Here you fill in your card details. Once your payment is made you will receive a confirmation with your payment and the tours you have purchased. Within 24 hours you will receive a boarding voucher/ticket for each tour in Crete you have purchased with all the details including the exact pickup point with "Google map location" and time based on your hotel selection.
In case you wish to know more about Gramvousa and Balos Tour, please feel free to communicate with us before booking online. Our travel consultants will try their best to provide you with the correct answers to your questions. Send all Inquiries to email@example.com
If after receiving your voucher/ticket, you still have questions, or you wish to cancel or alter the date please call us at +30 2897021106 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are currently in Crete our two travel shops are located in Hersonissos. Feel free to pass by one of them and get the answers to your questions and even more.
34 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link
2. Serapis Travel Services
141 El. Venizelou Ave (main road)
70014, Hersonissos, Crete
Google Map Location: Click on this-link